Hartz ultraguard plus reviews (Ultimate flea and Tick Drops for dogs and puppies)
Hartz ultraGuard is a flea and tick drop medicine for dogs and puppies to protect them from flea bites and infestation.
The Hartz ultraguard flea and tick drops for dogs have been specifically created for dogs weighing from 16 to 30 pounds. It is being manufactured and promoted by Hartz, an organization dedicated towards strengthening the bond between pets and their owners.
This 90 year old organization have created over 1500 innovative and affordable pet care products for Dogs, Cats, Small Animals, Birds, Reptiles, and Fish.
The Hartz ultraguard flea and tick drops for dogs are available in the form of an applicator that can easily be administered to dogs without any side effects.
There are 3 applicators in the pack and is meant for application over 3 months. Each applicator content is 0.04 fl. oz. (1.3 ml).
This is an innovative product and the primary features of the ultraguard flea and tick drop include:
- It offers long lasting treatment thanks to the dual Insect Growth Regulators (IGRs) this medication contains
- It not only protects dogs from ticks and fleas but also his/her immediate environment
- It is highly effective and can start killing fleas within 15 minutes post application
- It can effectively kill fleas, flea eggs and larvae
- It can effectively kill Brown dog ticks and Deer ticks
- It is also able to repel mosquitoes before they actually bite
- It can easily prevent re-infestations for at least 1 month
One of the salient aspects of the Hartz ultraguard flea and tick drops for dogs is that it is available in the form of a patented Pro-Glide® angled applicator, which is highly suitable for both short and long-haired dogs. The flea and tick drops have a quick drying formula as well and hence will not rub off and stay longer.
Active Ingredients in Hartz UltraGuard
The active ingredients are d-phenothrin – 85.7% and (S)-Methoprene – 2.3%. d-phenothrin is also known as sumithrin and phenothrin and is considered to be a synthetic pyrethroid. It has the ability to kill adult ticks and fleas.
It is often used along with methoprene. There are two types of methoprene: s-methoprene and r-methoprene. The one used in Hartz UltraGuard flea & tick drops for dogs is s-methoprene. This is because; it is a highly potent insect growth regulator (IGR).
It acts as an insect hormone and interferes with the growth and development of ticks and fleas thus prevents them from reproducing. It also prevents egg-laying and egg-hatching stages.
- It is a potent topical treatment and hence easy to apply
- This is a 3 month treatment for ticks and fleas
- The ingredients help repel mosquitoes even before they bite
- It can be used on puppies that are 12 weeks of age or older
- It prevents flea and tick re-infestation for a period of 30 days
- It is highly toxic for aquatic life.
- It can be harmful if absorbed through the skin
How to apply UltraGuard?
You need to read the entire label before applying this topical treatment. The step by step method of applying Hartz UltraGuard flea & tick drops for dogs is:
Step#1: There are 3 applicator tubes in the packet. Remove one.
Step#2: Hold the tube in an upright position and make sure it is pointed away from your face.
Step#3: Twist the dispensing tip in clockwise direction for around 1/2 turn. At the same time push down in order to break the seal. Note: You should not remove the dispensing tip.
Step#4: Now, position the dispensing tip on the dog’s back. It should be between the shoulder blades.
Step#5: Now, part your dogs hair along the back
Step#6: Slowly squeeze the content of the tube and move from the shoulder blades along the back all the way to the base of the tail.
Safety and Precaution
Since, Hartz UltraGuard flea & tick drops for dogs contain IGR and other chemicals, it is important to follow certain safety and precautionary measures. Here are some of them:
- It is recommended that you wear gloves when applying the drops and should try and avoid any contact with eyes and skin.
- Keep the flea & tick drop applicator tubes in a tightly closed container especially when not using it.
- It needs to be stored in a cool and dry area, which is not accessible to pets and children
- Ensure, it should not contaminate drinking water or food
- Since it contains pesticide, the empty applicator tubes should not be re-used.
- The empty applicator tubes need to be disposed only at approved waste disposal facility
Final Verdict on Hartz UltraGuard flea drops medicine
Hartz UltraGuard flea drops medicine contains fast acting formula that starts killing fleas within 15 minutes after the application. It Kills fleas, Brown Dog and Deer Ticks, and repels mosquitoes for 30 days.
It is specially designed to use only on dogs or puppies 12 weeks of age and older. Please do not use on cats or kittens. The package is sufficient for 3 monthly applications.